Neko

Friday, May 19, 2006

It wasn't just a dozen little girls having a recital...

We went to Rose State College last night to see Amalia in a dance recital. It lasted three hours! On a school night! And Amalia was only in a couple of numbers, spaced about two hours apart. Melvin and Gloria came down from Enid to see it, but had to leave at the intermission because of their drive back. At least they got to see Amalia in one of her programs.

I think that 10pm is a little late to keep little kids up. And a lot of those little kids were 3 and 4 years old!

It was a good program. The little ones were meant to be cute in their dance costumes, and not necessarily keep in step. Choreography is kinda lost on them. They're just having fun. The older kids, who could better take direction and rehearse at home, were very good.

It was about 10:15pm when we finally left. It was kinda late to fix dinner, so Mom and I went to Sonic. That surprised me, because Mom usually doesn't like Sonic, but it was better than going to Mc Donald's.

Jeff went over to Tori's to help Daniel with Joey, so they weren't there. Scott and Marc were and there were times that they were bored outta their gourd. Scott texted a friend of his, but she never replied.

=====

From The Post Within A Post Department:

--begin rant--

I have an account at 43things.com. It's a site where you can list 43 things that you would like to accomplish in your life, and check them off as you complete them.

Last year, when I was in broadcasting school, one of my goals was to finish school and find work in radio. I had one guy tell me that broadcasting school wasn't worth it, and to not waste my money.

I replied to him that this was something I had always wanted to do, and that to succeed in anything, one must work hard. I worked my ass off to get an "A" in the course, as I took this opportunity I'd been given very seriously.

Then, yesterday, some chick contacts me thru 43things, and pretty much said the same thing, that she felt she wasted her money, and that someone at the school (the same one I attended, but I think it was a different campus, as she mentioned a name I was not familiar with) had told her that radio was a dying industry, and that the pay sucked, etc. etc.

I wrote back to her as well, and told her what I had told the first guy who wanted to "discourage" me from pursuing this goal. If you want something badly enough, you're willing to work for it. I want to work in radio, and I worked hard. And this week, my hard work paid off. I got a job. And I never expected to get big bucks right out of the box. That's unrealistic. I'm starting in a whole new industry as a beginner. To earn the "big bucks", you have to prove yourself, and I guess she didn't want to do that.

Maybe I should have directed her to read the rest of my list, specifically the goal to not let anyone kill my dreams. I told her that I was sorry that she was so disillusioned by broadcasting school, and wished her luck in whatever she decided she was serious enough about to pursue.

When I first read her email, my first thought was, "well my, aren't you a fuckin' ray of sunshine." Then I thought she probably didn't take the training seriously, and it showed in her work. Maybe she just didn't try to find work, thinking that radio stations would be banging down her door to hire her.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't show someone that you have that talent, then no one will know but you. Radio station people don't read minds, or think, wow there is a great talent out there in Oklahoma, we should go look for him/her.

The point is, you only get out of something what you put in. Sure, it took 6 months to land this job, but I DID IT!!! I took the training seriously, and now I am headed to Wyoming for my first broadcasting job.

You wanna try and discourage me from reaching my goals? Go right ahead. All you'll get for your trouble is a deaf ear from me. Believe me, my family did their best to do just that. But now that I've succeeded, they are happy for me.

--end rant--


That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--


Technorati Tags: , , , ,