Neko

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Time to spill the beans and tell my big secret

I got the phone call last night that will change my life.

It's all good, readers... I GOT A RADIO JOB!!!!

I start June 5. The job is in Wyoming.

I hardly slept at all last night, I was so excited, scared and nervous.

I had promised Larry I'd send him an email when I heard from Jim, the man in Wyoming who hired me, and with whom I've been talking about this job for about two months. I got the email sent, but it was much later than I had planned because...

Daniel and I were discussing his taking a week off from work to drive me up there. Then we talked about selling my beloved, yet non-operational, Beretta so I could have some walking around money once I got to Wyoming.

Daniel got this bright idea that maybe I could buy a car here them drive it up to Wyoming, so we told Mom that we were going to Wal-Mart to get an Auto Trader magazine.

We did do that, but we ended up not buying it because there really wasn't any cars in there that I could afford.

We went off to the gas station so Daniel could put gas in his car, then we went off to no less than 4 used car lots to look for a car for me. Never mind that my credit is in the toilet (divorcing Jon did no favors to my credit rating), and that I didn't have the cash for a down payment, Daniel was going to take me to these places just to "get an idea" of what used cars go for around here.

Okay, we live in the Oklahoma City Metro... used car prices are a little beyond me right now, even with the new job. It'd be easier for me if I bought a car once I got up there.

The last place we looked was the used car lot at Smicklas Chevolet, where Daniel bought his car new last year. He parked near where the brand spanking new cars were, and we ended up hiking over to the used car lot. I wore flip-flops, and I told Daniel that if I thought I would be doing all this walking, I'd have worn sneakers instead. Daniel then went to get his car and park it near the used lot.

Meanwhile, I looked at the used cars, and while nice looking and clean (and anywhere from one to six years old), none of them had any prices on them! I was just praying that a salesperson wouldn't come over and chat me up. I already knew I couldn't afford any of them.

Daniel came back, and we looked some more. I then saw this young tomcat walk from under one of the cars. He let me pet him and pick him up. After that, he followed me and Daniel around the lot until we left.

After that, we went over to my sister's to pick up Jeff and tell everyone there that I had gotten the job. I walked into the house and Jeff saw me, and he knew why I was there!

Everyone was very pleased for me. When I told Amalia, she started to cry. In her 7 year old mind, she equates Auntie Stefie leaving with me never coming back. Wyoming may as well be a distant planet as far as she is concerned. Joey, on the other hand, could have cared less.

Then Dean floored me by offering to help with getting me up there. He told me that he has the weekend before my June 5th start date off, and if he took June 2nd (Friday) off, too, then I could get there on the 4th. I took him up on it, because it would help Daniel with the driving duties, and I can't drive the Cobalt because it's a standard transmission (I can, but it's been about 20 years since I had!).

=====

There's still a lot to do before I leave, so posts here on MVL will probably be infrequent for a while.

But once I get settled, things will be back to a somewhat normal state.

Wyoming. Wow! I can't wait to get there and get to work!



That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--


Technorati Tags: , , ,