Neko

Thursday, May 25, 2006

In My Humble Opinion: what I will and will not miss about Oklahoma

What I'm not going to miss about Oklahoma

1. Tornadoes-- they scare the bejeezus outta me.
2. The Department of Public Safety-- why can't they call themselves the DMV like everyplace else I've lived (except New England, where it's known as the RMV)?
3. Weathermen bitching about the weather-- they carp about there not being enough of something, be it rain, snow, dry days, etc., then when it does happen, it's too much of the same, be it rain, snow...
4. The Christmas commercial that jeweller BC Clark runs every year-- it gets annoying after the first 50,000 airings or so.
5. "Bedlam" anything-- Oklahoma? Oklahoma State? Who's better at whatever? Who cares! (there are execptions to this. See #5 below)
6. The fact that you only get one license plate (or tag) when you register your car-- Yeah, the one on the back is the most useful, and i understand about the state wanting to save money by only issuing one plate, however, I also will not miss
6a. The custom plates for every school, hobby, team, company, etc. that sell everywhere-- OU is your favorite school. Bully for you! A "house divided"? Okay, so there are some people who like both OU and OSU. I really don't want to know. And those ones for every school (especially the elementary schools)... unless you work at said school, I really don't need to know where your kid goes to school. Doesn't anyone but me see that this practice could be dangerous?
7. Slow news days-- Gov. Henry's dog had puppies recently. It made the local news. I'm sure something more important and pressing happened that day. The news coverage is good in Oklahoma City, but there are some things I don't need to know. Last summer, the govenor's dog, the same one who had puppies, wandered off for a few days... even that made the news! If Pinky wandered off, no one would bat an eye... except that she's a pit bull. If she got picked up by animal control, we'd never see her again.
8. The word "tornadic"-- I'd never heard this word before coming here. It has to do with tornado conditions. When they say during the weather that the conditions are ripe for tornadic activity, I start to panic a little and pray a lot.



Okay, okay... enough of that. Here are the things I will miss most about Oklahoma:

1. My family-- duh?
2. My friends-- just when I thought that I'd never make friends here, I went to school and made a few. And I will miss them, because it's always nice to have friends. I hope that they won't forget about me, and that I had an impact on their lives as they have had on mine.
3. Brad Edwards-- the consumer reporter for KFOR-TV in Oklahoma City died recently after a brief illness. He fought for the common Oklahoman for more than 30 years. I've never met the man in person, but his sincerity came through the television, and felt that if I needed help because I was getting cheated or wronged, I could trust him. His segment on the news was called "In Your Corner". He's in God's corner now.
4. David Payne during tornado season-- he's one of the meterologists at KFOR-TV who goes out and chases tornadoes so that everyone can be aware and safe. Most of the time, he gets really excited about it and yells out "Tornado on the ground!" when one is in just that position to wreak havoc.
5. The exceptions to #5 above-- Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma football) and JamesOn Curry (Oklahoma State basketball). Two very talented athletes who have long careers ahead of them if they want it.
6. The Hornets-- Oklahoma City took in the Hornets after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans last summer. They have proven to everyone in the NBA that OKC is truly a major league town. I'll be sad when they leave to return to the Cresent City, but for now, the Hornets are OURS! They've done a lot for the economy here, and nearly every game at the Ford Center was a sellout.
7. The Survivor Tree at the Oklahoma City National Memorial-- a symbol of hope for me personally, although I was not in Oklahoma back in 1995. If that tree could get scortched to the point where people thought it was dead, then came back to life the following spring, then why couldn't I overcome my adversities and do the same? It's one of my favorite places in Oklahoma City.
8. Bricktown-- a pretty cool place to hang out downtown. The parking sucks though.


That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--


Technorati Tags: , , ,