Neko

Monday, November 21, 2005

"Sometimes, a man just needs his mama"

I called Daniel this morning and he had had a rough night. He couldn't keep anything down, and was getting anti-nausea medication. He still sounded really weak, and told me that he asked Dean to bring me by the hospital.

Dean came by around three and he took me, Mom, and Jeff over to his house, where Jeff was going to watch the kids while Tori, Dean, Mom, and I went to the hospital.

I've never seen Daniel look so happy to see anyone. He told me that he was glad I was there, because "Sometimes, a man just needs his mama." Daniel hasn't called me "Mama" since he was about 8 years old, so this meant a lot to me. Mom, Tori and Dean stayed about an hour or so, and I stayed til about 10pm because Daniel asked me to.

He wasn't really all that talkative, was still in a bit of pain, and mostly tired. Dean had bought Daniel some stuff to wear-- socks, underwear, lounging shorts, pajama bottoms emblazoned with the OU logo, and two tshirts; one said "Vote for Pedro", and the other said "Out of Service".

He slept off and on, and I did too. The chair I was sitting in wasn't very comfortable, and the hospital was freezing cold! Daniel was warm, so I guess it felt good to him, but I was cold.

Daniel was able to keep everything he ate and drank down the whole time I was there, so the anti-nausea meds were doing their job. He also had self-administered pain meds, which he only had to push a button to get (I think it was morphine). He's going to get weaned off of that tomorrow (Monday) and take pills instead.

We still don't know when Daniel will be released from the hospital, but I'm thinking it's Tuesday. I don't think they're planning to keep him there during Thanksgiving, but the doctors will say when it's time for him to go home.

Daniel asked me to come back tomorrow after I sign some papers at school, and I said I would. The hospital isn't that far from the school, so getting there won't be a problem unless the van won't cooperate or something.



And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--