Neko

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I just can't watch anymore storm coverage...

Seeing all that destruction, all those people wading through filthy water, hearing Mayor Ray Nagin say that his city is drowning and that the death toll may go into the thousands in New Orleans alone... it brings me to tears.

The scenes of the city, and of the surrounding areas in both Louisiana and Mississippi, look like a war zone in a third world country, not like the United States. It just seems inconceivable that this kind of destruction happened here.

And there's not a damn thing I can do about it. I feel helpless because I can't help.

Then there was the scene i saw tonight where there are coffins flung across what looks like a beach...coffins, presumably, that have someone's body inside. That just did it for me. I just can't watch anymore.

I am still hoping that Saon is okay, and that he'll call when he can get to a phone. For the first time since I've known him, I hope he went to Minnesota. I'm still trying to screw up the courage to call his ex and find out if he's there.

Meanwhile, I found this blog on Blogger's home page. It's two guys working for the Sun-Herald in Mississippi, tracking the storm and its aftermath. It's interesting to read because these two guys have seen the carnage in coastal Mississippi first hand. Check out Eye of the Storm.


And that's all from where I sit, wiping the tears from my eyes again...

--MorelaterZ--