Neko

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

That bitch Katrina and $2.9what-the-hell a gallon???

The news from the hurricane zone just seems to get worse as the days pass.

Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco has ordered anyone still in New Orleans to get out, that it's not safe to stay because of health concerns. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin has been quoted as saying that all of his city will soon be underwater due to the failure of not one, but two levees at the 17th Street canal.

The looting in New Orleans is so bad, that even the cops are doing it!

The pictures I'm seeing on television make me sad. New Orleans is such a beautiful and historic city, I simply cannot allow myself to believe that it will not survive this. Especially since I've been there!

And I still haven't heard from Saon, not that he has an obligation to contact me, of course. I just don't want to find out that he's hurt or worse the hard way. Even though our relationship is not what it once was, I still care for him very much, and I think, I hope, he knows that.

Meanwhile, in Mississippi, hundreds are feared dead there, and the flooding there is just as bad as in New Orleans. It just breaks my heart.

I know that Hannie is okay though, as I've seen her pop online a few times today. I wonder if she and her family will even have a home to return to. The area where she lives floods easily when it just rains. Heaven knows what it did during the hurricane.

Katrina has, sadly, given the oil companies an excuse to raise the price of a gallon of gasoline. On Monday, gas here in the Oklahoma City area averaged around $2.50 a gallon. Tonight when I returned home from school, the 7-11 on Danforth and Kelly in Edmond was showing regular unleaded at a whopping $2.97 a gallon!!! That's a 47 cent spike from yesterday! At this rate, I won't be able to afford to drive anywhere except to and from school. Oil refineries in the Gulf won't be online again for weeks. We are going to see three dollars a gallon here before the end of the week!!

Can we say price gouging? Can we say people like President Bush getting richer at our expense? We have fuel in reserve, but Bush won't release it, saying that it won't help keep gas prices down that much.

Now, c'mon Mr President... I'll bet you're not paying three bucks a gallon. Is it fair that the people who elected you in a so called "mandate" (not me, BTW) should have to dig even deeper into their pockets to get from point A to point B? I think not.

Okay, okay... /end rant

And that's all from where I sit, not able to do much of anything about anything.

--MorelaterZ--