Neko

Monday, April 30, 2007

Bringing up the slack... and I'm not exactly thrilled with it

I'm part of this group in my English Comp class that has this huge project due at the end of the semester. It's actually part of our final exam. Each member of the group has a specific thing that he or she was to write about.

One member of the group I'm in decided that she needed to drop out of school in the middle of this and not tell anyone, not give us the work she'd done to that point, and not answer the emails that she's been sent. I know this gal's called at least two of her instructors, because I have both of those classes.

Now the three of us that remain have to start her part from scratch, which will put us behind by about three weeks, and i'm not looking forward to doing it. Fortunately, we were able to equally divide the work between us. It's the extra work I don't appreciate, but I guess this gal thought she had no choice but to leave. But geez, at least don't make us do everything from the git go!
=====

There's this one guy in one of my broadcasting classes who thinks that he should be treated special because he's "trying". He argues with the instructor constantly about stupid little things. If he'd just shut the hell up and just do the work that he's been assigned, maybe he might pass the class.

He accused one of my classmates of not having to work as hard because she was awarded a scholarship for getting good grades. She disagreed, saying that she works two jobs AND is also a full time student. She gets good grades because she works hard at it. He's just sloughing off and hopes to get a C, because that's "good enough".

"Good enough" is why I am in college working my ass off for a 4.0 at the age of 43. Because when I was younger, I thought "good enough" was good enough. When I got out into the real world, I got the shock of my life, because I didn't know as much as I thought I did.

And this kid will figure that out when he stops making excuses.
=====



That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--

Labels: , , , ,