Neko

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Broadway Extension isn't the place to lose your composure over a song on the radio

...but nonetheless, that is where I was when "Alyssa Lies" came on one of the country radio stations this afternoon.

"Alyssa Lies" --Jason Michael Carroll

My little girl met a new friend
Just the other day
On the playground at school
Between the tires and the swings
But she came home with tear-filled eyes
And she said to me "Daddy, Alyssa Lies"

I just brushed it off at first
Cause I didn't know how much my little girl had been hurt
Or the things she had seen
I wasn't ready when I said you can tell me
And she said

Chorus

Alyssa Lies
To the classroom
Alyssa lies
Everyday at school
Alyssa lies
To the teacher
As she tries to cover every bruise

My little girl laid her head down
That night to go to sleep
As I stepped out the room I heard her say
A prayer so soft and sweet
God bless my mom and my dad
And my new friend Alyssa
I know she needs it bad

Chorus

I had the worst night of sleep in years
As I tried to think of a way to calm her fears
I knew just what it was I had to do
But when we got to school on Monday I heard the news

My little girl asked me why everybody looked so sad
The lump in my throat grew bigger
With every question that she asked
Until I felt the tears run down my face
And I told her that Alyssa wouldn't be at school today

She doesn't lie
In the classroom
She doesn't lie
Anymore at school
Alyssa lies
With Jesus
Because there's nothing anyone would do

Tears filled my eyes
When my little girl asked me why
Alyssa lies
Daddy tell me why
Alyssa lies


I almost pulled off the road, but managed to keep it together until I got to my destination.

It brought out such strong emotions in me-- sadness, anger, helplessness... and yes, I almost lost it out there on the Broadway Extension.

Why do some parents take their frustrations out on their children physically? What did that child ever do to them. Why are there so many children like Kelsey Briggs and Marcella Hope Yellowbear, whose parent(s) treat them in such unspeakable ways?

I wish I knew the answers to those questions. I really and truly do.

This song makes me cry. Just reading the lyrics gets me choked up.



That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--

Labels: , ,