Neko

Thursday, November 18, 2004

If you support a woman's right to choose, or gay marriage, are you a bad Catholic?

Apparently, a priest in Andover, Massachusetts, thinks so.

State representative Barbara L'Italien (D-Andover) was asked by her parish priest to step down from her leadership role as a cantor and choir leader because of her political views (which may or may not be the same as her personal views) on abortion and gay marriage (same sex marriages are legal in Massachusetts as of May of this year). To her credit, L'Italien refused. She was quoted this week as saying "that church should be a sanctuary, apart from (her) work".

L'Italien was quoted in the Eagle-Tribune that she is not going to step down unless she receives a written request to do so.

In this article, the author writes: "The Catholic Church would have more credibility if it also came down on individual legislators who support the death penalty, which is also a violation of church doctrine. But while the church has long opposed capital punishment, it has not sought to punish individual lawmakers who are in favor of it."

Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

I am not a politician, but I am a Catholic. I support a woman's right to choose (though I personally would not), and I support same sex marriage (though I am straight). In this way Rep. L'Italien and I are alike. And, because of my views, would I be considered a "bad" Catholic? Could a priest, knowing my views, refuse to give me (or my children, for that matter) Communion? Didn't God give me a brain and free will to think for myself? The Church doesn't support women using birth control, either, but I have. If I didn't, I'd probably have eight or ten children instead of only four.

And since when did the Catholic Church get the right to pass judgement? This is an institution that turned a blind eye to pedophile priests for decades! Cardinal Law, the former Archbishop of Boston, had to resign because of that. And what does one's personal beliefs have to do with leading a choir? Nothing that I can see.

Perhaps if the Catholic Church gave its parishoners a little credit for brains... after all, Barbara L'Italien wasn't standing at the cantor's lectern preaching her political views. She was leading the choir, for cryin out loud! Let her continue to lead the choir at her parish. As long as she keeps her job and her church duties separate, which she has done, I don't see the problem here.

Some people need to get a grip!


--MorelaterZ--



NOTE: the preceeding is the opinion of the author, and does not represent the views of the websites/blogs listed here. Quotes are from two articles from the online edition of The Boston Globe. Please see the disclaimer at the very bottom of this page regarding comments. Thank you.