Neko

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Post wherein Stef's past comes back to bite her in the ass

All these emails from The Master of the One Line Email (two more this morning!) are giving me a lot to think about. Not all of it good.

I keep wondering about a motive. Maybe, just once, he doesn't have one. Unlikely, but what the hell. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

He has a certain reputation around his neck of the woods. It's not a good one. The apartment he rented me in December of 99 wasn't the best in the world, but it put a roof over my head, was reasonably inexpensive (more than what I'm paying in Del City though), and got me away from my ex husband, who I thought I was going to strangle if he and I had to spend one more day under the same roof together (how we managed to stay married long enough to have four kids is a miracle).

The apartment was not in disrepair, and if things did need fixing, he'd come right away to make it right. I'm pretty sure that his attraction to me accounted for some of that. One of my neighbors complained about him to me constantly, and cautioned me not to get too involved with him, because his reputation preceeded him. Being new to the area at the time, I had no clue what she was talking about, nor did she explain much beyond what was supposedly common knowledge.

When he evicted me, we came to a mutual understanding and parted amicably. We exchanged emails for a while after I came to OKC, but then that stopped and I thought no more about him.

Until January of 06, when I thought I'd take a chance and reach out and wish him (and other people) a Happy New Year. When I didn't hear back from him, I figured that I'd let bygones be bygones.

Then there were emails in October, February and the ten we've exchanged in the last week. One of today's emails had a picture of him at the beach, on a pier or something. Might be Hampton Beach in New Hampshire, but I don't know. He still looked the same as I remembered him, perhaps a little older (after all he is 60 years old!).

Some of those ten emails made clear that he is still attracted to me. I'm flattered. I really am. But I made a committment when I enrolled at Rose State, and I fully intend to honor that committment. If there was a way I could get to New England to visit the friends I still have there (and deal with Jon), I might take advantage of it when I'm not in school.

I'm just scared he might get a wild hair up his ass and come here. That I don't think I could handle. I have enough going on without that. That would upset the delicate balance of my life as I've lived it in the last 5 years. I have enough on my plate without adding that.

I think I need a hug...


That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--

Labels: , , , ,