Neko

Friday, December 09, 2005

Some people! (add sarcasm here)

I went down to the school last night to do an air show, just to keep in practice. Larry put me in the internet studio, and I had a great time doing my show.

During the last half hour or so of my 4 hour show, I got two phone calls on my cell. One was from a number I didn't recognize, and one said "unknown" on the display. I didn't answer either of them because I was, well, doing a show. And that I didn't have many minutes left. I'd answer it if it were Mom or someone from the family, everyone else would have to wait until I got more minutes.

I was hanging out in Larry's office after my show, and after everyone in the night class had left, and I felt my phone buzz. As I took the phone out of my pocket, I inadvertantly answered it. Knowing I had less than five minutes, I would make it quick.

Well, the person on the other end of the line was someone who had seen my ad in Radio and Records (or Radio World, I don't remember which. I wrote ads for both at Ben's request after I took my final). Almost immediately, he starts a sales pitch by saying he'd talked to other grads of the school, and he was told (supposedly, because he could be lying for all I know) that the airchecks they made at school were really poor, and that this guy had a studio in Dallas where I could make a better one.

I told him that I was on my cell, and that I didnt have many minutes left, so he gave me his name, number (and that he would be awake until 4am!), and his website. He had spent the better part of four minutes dissing the school, and playing up the fact he had this studio in Dallas. He allegedly had worked at one of the local oldies stations in OKC, but I'd never heard of him. Then again, unless it was in the last three years, the chances were good that I'd never heard of him.

I hung up with this guy and told Larry what he had said. Larry said that he had the same equipment at the school that this guy probably had in his fancy studio in Dallas. I considered that the guy was calling all the people who had ads in that particular publication who had attended the same school (and the school has four campuses), so he could offer them the same thing he offered me, then charge me for the studio time.

One, there is no way I'm going to drive all the way to Dallas, especially not in this weather; and two, i'm not going to part with what little cash I manage to hang on to just so I could take this man up on his offer. I am satisfied with the aircheck I have now, thank you. And I can redo my aircheck, if need be, free of charge.

This man had a lot of gall to insult the school by saying its equipment is not the same quality as what he's got, and to suggest that I'd want to come to Dallas to make another recording.

I just can't believe I wasted 5 minutes talking to the guy! What if there was an emergency at home? I wouldn't have been able to talk to anyone!

I got more time for my cell this morning, so that point is moot now.

Working an OU basketball game tomorrow. This'll be fun.... unless i have to stand all day, then it won't be fun.



That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--