Neko

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Can someone explain this to me?

I worked a concert at the Ford Center last night. Kenny Chesney was the headliner and "special guests" were Uncle Kracker (huh?!) and Gretchen Wilson (whatta voice! u go girl!).

Knowing this, and having been to a couple of concerts long before this gig at the Ford Center, there is something that I just don't get.

Why is it that women have to get all tarted up to go to a concert? Are they looking for some from someone in the crowd, or are they looking to impress the headliners and/or members of their crew so that they can get invited backstage?

I've seen women in next-to-nothing tops, tight tight jeans or skirts, and high heels flitting around the venue like they're someone important (but without the credentials of an all access pass). Then they have the audacity to complain that their feet hurt and could they please use the elevators to get back to the main floor. I've heard some of my coworkers tell them, "take off your shoes and go back the way you came." High heels have no place in a place like the Ford Center because of all the stairs one has to climb to get various places.

I don't know about their motives, but I go to concerts for the music, not to get laid. Some see celebrity as a way to escape from their own dull and boring (or whatever) lives. In order to get celebrity, you have to earn it by working hard and never giving up. Just take Gretchen Wilson as an example:

She grew up in this tiny town in Illinois and worked her way from obscuirty to being a major Nashville star. It wasn't done in just a few months; and it wasn't by sleeping with someone famous. This gal has real talent, and it showed in her performance last night.

Okay, so that was a rant about the way some women dress at concerts. I won't even get started on the fact that the Ford Center sells beer during these events. Girls behaving badly? Just check out any concert venue during a big name concert and you'll see what I mean.


And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--