Neko

Monday, March 07, 2005

OhMyGod! A Blast From the Past!

Jeff found this on the internet recently: the website for the one Navy ship his dad was stationed on. Jon was on the USS Jarrett (FFG-33) from October 1984 to Jaunary 1988. When Jon first reported aboard, Daniel wasn't even a year old yet; he was 4 when we left. Jeff was born about 18 months into Jon's tour of duty.

Funny thing is, I'd heard somewhere that the Jarrett had been decomissioned. It was overhauled in 1989 and 1990 (or thereabouts), so it's apparently a much better ship than it was when Jon served on her.

(And why are ships named after men, but referred to with female pronouns?)

I think it was about five years ago, Jarrett had the first female Commanding Officer to go into battle. Back in 1985, no women served on that ship. It was just too small for cohabitation (or so I'd been led to believe). My how things change.

Another change: she's now stationed in San Diego. She'd always been part of the battle group stationed there, but while Jon served on her, Jarrett was stationed at the Long Beach Naval Base (now since closed).

Pardon me while I wax nostalgic on y'all...

Those were the good years for our family. When we were all young and naive...then real life takes over and screws you up for life.

All in all, I'm glad Jarrett's still out there, still an active ship. Long may she wave!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--