Neko

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Attack of the Giant Solid Chocolate Easter Bunny!!

...more on that in a sec

This was one of those days where we actually had a full tank of gas, and Jeff just had to go someplace today. Actually, three someplaces (I vetoed the 4th place). Guess who drove?

Jeff has a project for his English class where he was to read a book, then tomorrow, the whole class does an outline of their chosen book for use in writing a paper on said book. Jeff's book was Joseph Heller's Catch-22. He hasn't finished it yet, so his big idea was to get the audio book version and listen to the last part of the book so he can be prepared for doing the outline.

First stop-- Barnes and Noble at Memorial and May. We go in there and Jeff asks about whether they have the book in an audio version. They don't. Meanwhile, I'm looking around on my own and end up in the "New Age" section. There I see many of the books that JC has suggested I read. Good thing most of them are available thru the library, because these books ain't cheap!

I go in search of my now missing 2nd born and call out his name, and an employee turns around and goes, "yes, can I help you?" (Not, "how'd you know my name?"). I apologized and explained that Jeff was my son's name, and of course, Jeff shows up at just that moment in answer to my call.

Since Barnes and Noble don't have the audiobook, we head over to...

Second stop-- Waldenbooks in Quail Springs Mall. Same story there, they don't have Catch-22 on audio either. They suggest that we go over to Books A Million across Memorial and down the road from the mall and check with them. I was hungry at this point and told Jeff that I wanted lunch before we headed over to the necxt bookstore. We went to the Food Court and had lunch.

In a recent past post, I wondered why the Cajun fast food place had Asian employees. Now I know why-- the place is in essence a Chinese place, with no Cajun specialties to be had. No jambalaya, no po' boys, no muffaletta, no red beans and rice, no Cajun food of any kind! So how can they call themselves "Famous Cajun Grille"? I was going to ask the Asian man behind the counter, but cooler heads prevailed, though the man did ask if I wanted a sample of his wares.

As we were leaving the mall, there was this new store that sold chocolate confections, chocolate covered apples and stuff like that. In one corner on a counter, there was the biggest chocolate Easter Bunny we'd ever seen. Jeff asked if it were real was told that it was, then he asked if it was solid, and again, it was. It had to be at least 3 1/2 feet tall and weigh like 50 lbs!!! Jeff said that that was what he wanted for Easter, and that it would take him and his three brothers to even make a dent in it. I told Jeff it would probably kill him from overdosing on chocolate, to which he replied, "Born on Easter, die on Easter!" (Jeff was born on Easter Sunday in 1986).

After that, we went over to...

Third stop-- Books A Million on Memorial at Penn (I think). They didn't have it either and they suggested that we go to the Borders on Northwest Expressway. It was at that point I said "no way" to that plan. I was tired and I wanted to go home. I told Jeff that when we got home, to call Borders and any other book stores to see if they had it before I'd take him anywhere else. So, we went home.

Jeff called Borders, and several other bookstores and none of them had Catch-22 on audio. Jeff decided at this point to borrow the video from the library. By the time he decided that, I was upstairs and out like a light on the couch. We ended up going after dinner.

He got the video, hooked up the VCR, and after his grandmother went to bed, he popped it into the machine. Damned tape was defective! There was no sound! He had tested the VCR and knew that other tapes he put in it were fine, so he concluded that his video was messed up.

Oh. Great.

Guess he has to pull an all nighter and read the book after all. Poor baby....



And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--