Neko

Sunday, December 19, 2004

God rest ye merry gentlemen, let nothing you dismay

I have got to get out of here! This was a little too close for comfort.

I took Jeff to the mall earlier so that he could get something with the money his other grandmother (Jon's mom) sent him for Christmas. He got yet another Anime/Manga/whatever the hell it's called book. I just looked around the mall wishing I had money to get stuff for my family and myself.

We parked in a pretty good spot. We got out of the van and walked not 5 steps when another car closer to the door pulled out of its parking space. I handed the key to Jeff and told him to drive the van up to that parking space. I stood in the space to "save" it. Jeff parked the van in the space after I moved, then we went into the mall.

About an hour and some later, we come back out to the van and see that the section where we had originally parked was roped off by police crime scene tape! Jeff and I went to go see what was up, and it looked at first glance that someone got hit by a car (the person wasn't there, having been taken off to the hospital just a few minutes before). A sheriff's deputy asked if there was anything he could help us with, and I asked him what happened. Well, someone got shot, and all the cars that were within the perimeter of the yellow tape weren't going anywhere anytime soon. Good thing we had moved when a new space opened up, or we might yet still be there waiting to go home.

There is just way too much crime here! Every night on the news, someone is getting killed, or beat up, or raped...a litany of debauchery played out on the local news. Oh. Joy. We're in the middle of the Bible belt, for cryin out loud! But-- gangs, drug dealers, prostitutes, meth labs, etc. abound in OKC!! Someone gets shot or stabbed all the time here. It's all just too much sometimes.

Not even Lawrence was this bad!

I just want to get out of here. The sooner, the better.

That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--

Updated 11:48am on 12.20.04. Links are to article about this incident.