Neko

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Now for some fun...

PromoGuy's Monday Mission:

1. Raspil alerted me to a web site that has taken my writings and re-published it without asking my permission (it is a Xanga site and you have to register to comment, so I won't bother linking to it). While I am sure I have been plagiarized before (in fact, I know I have), I never like to see it in action. But there is is, my writing, and even my code, in someone else's blog with not one bit of credit to me. Maybe it was an oversight, so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt (for now). Have you ever had your work (online of off) used without your permission? What was used and how did you resolve it? I had someone IM me once about 2 years ago asking if he could use one of my poems to turn in as his own in a school project. I told him absolutely not, to which he told me he was going to do it anyway, whether I gave my blessing or not. So I reported him to Yahoo for violating their Terms of Service. He got all his Yahoo accounts deleted.

2. Have you ever copied somebody else's work into your own without requesting permission? Did you feel OK about that? How did things turn out? Just as I don't want someone using my work without my permission, I don't use the work of someone else. If I have to do that, I always give credit to the author.

3. Are there any similarities or differences (in general) to someone using my work without permission or compensation and downloading and sharing music without doing the same? Can you justify one and not the other? I'd say that they would be the same thing. Someone made this comparison to me years ago, and that's why I no longer download music. I'd like to get paid for my creativity and hard work, just like musical artists do.

4. In the US, yesterday most of us had to set our clocks back an hour for DST. Do you have "Daylight Savings Time" where you live? Do you like it? Does your body adjust well to it? I'm in the US, so I had to go thru that. I don't mind it though, but going back to standard time is a shock when it gets dark at 5pm

5. Last week I had to use a blade razor to shave because I misplaced my electric shaver charger. I never shave my whiskers with a blade so I got cut up pretty bad. All is well now, but I won't give up my 'lectric without a fight. Do you shave? At what age did you start? Do you use a blade or an electric? What do you shave (face, chin, legs, ears, etc)? Do you shave in the shower/bath or at the sink? Good Lord! As a female, I shave under my arms. I started doing that when I was about 12. I haven't had to shave my legs in ages, thanks to a birth control drug I took for 2 years. I have no hair on my legs to speak of (at least none that needs to be shaved).

6. What do you think about the religious groups that get so upset when everyone celebrates Halloween? They should get over it.

7. Are you dressing up for Halloween? If so, as what? And If you do, email me a photo and I will create a Gallery with everyone who sends one. I'll prolly just wear my sweatshirt that says "This is my costume. Scary, huh?"

BONUS:How can I explain when there are few words I can choose? Don't explain
Today's Comment Question: Are there any bodily fluids or excretions (sweat, blood, vomit, earwax) that you just can not stand to touch you or that just grosses you out? My 17 year old is an earwax factory, and has been since he was a baby. He doesn't always remember to clean it out. Ewwwww!