Neko

Thursday, April 27, 2006

The post wherein Stef rants about the high price of gas

Gas is approaching $3.00 a gallon. Again.

I could understand it last summer right after Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, because it disabled some of the oil rigs out in the Gulf of Mexico. They are all mostly or fully functional now, last I heard.

But now, it's just plain greed.

One oil company just gave its retired CEO $100 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! For what?? Doing a good job and bringing in max profits? Or seeing how high the price of gas gets before the people revolt?

I'm putting Big Oil on notice: I'm pretty pissed off about it. Some guy gets a hundred mil, and there's millions of us out here who have to decide if we're going to drive today!

In January, when I went to Missouri for a job interview, it cost about $40 to fill up the van's tank. At that point, gas was $2.17 a gallon. Now, gas here is $2.76 a gallon. Filling up the tank just got more expensive. I haven't filled up the tank since January. I usually put in, at the most, $15 or $20, and that gets me anywhere from a quarter to (not even) half a tank. Twenty dollars used to fill up my Beretta!

Know who's getting a lot of that oil profit? Look in the general direction of Washington, DC. How many of those senators and congressmen have ties to the oil companies? Probably more than you think, with lobbying and all that going on.

Bush says he's going to do something about it. Yeah, right! His approval rating is at 32%. Even if he did do something, that isn't going to make those number go up. He's got too many other issues that keep that number low.

I want cheap gas, dammit! Sad thing is, Oklahoma has some of the lowest gas prices in the country. I'm just glad I don't live in the big cities like L.A., New York, Chicago or Boston. I'd be dependant on public transportation. And I hate to ride buses! I bought a car so I wouldn't have to depend on buses anymore. But if gas goes up anymore, I'll be walking everywhere, and some of the places I go to aren't exactly within walking distance. When I finally get a radio job, wherever that is, I'm going to try and live as close to the job as possible.

Three bucks or more a gallon is gonna kill me!


(This is my opinion and my opnion ONLY! You have the right to agree or not. I'm not a particularly political grrl, so I could have my facts wrong. I know what ticks me off, and sometimes, I write about it.)


And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--

Technorati Tags: