Neko

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I should be in bed, but

sleep is very hard to come by at the right times. *Sigh*

My first installment of my transportation money is about to run out. I don't know when I'll get another installment, nor how much I'll be getting, though I know it'll probably be less than $100. When Angela presents me with more papers to sign, I'll know it's on its way.

I don't know how DRS thinks this is enough to buy gas for a month, epecially since gas is now over $2.15 a gallon in some places around here. I'm dreading the first time I ask Mom to pay for gas, because the first thing out of her mouth will be, "You spent all that money already?"

Well, Mater dear, I did have to pay $60 for an oil change, and $20 every couple of days just to get to and from school, plus all the times I had to make a cigarette run for you (every damn day). So, yeah, the money is gone already. And since I have to have near perfect attendance to even get this money in the first place, I'll need your help. After all, DRS said they'd help with my transportation expenses, not pay for all of them. And they don't throw maintainance in there, so anything I have to do to keep that van running comes out of that money, too.

Good news is, I think I'm getting a paycheck tomorrow from the Alison Krause show I worked all of 2 1/2 hours at a few weeks ago. I got paid until 10pm that night, though I worked only until 8pm, but it's still only the one job, and that check will prolly go straight into my gas tank.

Tomorrow is call in day, so I hope there's a job soon, or I'm seriously going to sell my plasma down on 23rd Street.

I shouldn't have to resort to that , but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

===============


That handsome Naval officer pictured at left is Captain Michael Scott Speicher, and today is his birthday. He is MIA from the first night of the first Gulf War in 1991. Reliable sources state that Capt. Spiecher was last seen alive in Iraq as recently as March 2003. There is a grass roots effort to find Scott Speicher and have him brought home. Sadly, the US Government doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of helping get him out of Iraq, where it is believed is he being held prisoner by Saddam loyalists.

An excellent, but disturbing, book on the subject, called No One Left Behind by Amy Waters Yarsinske, details the last time he was seen by his fellow pilots on January 17, 1991, and the attempts to have him declared MIA (which happened in 2002) after being listed as KIA/BNR (killed in action/body not recovered). I call it disturbing because every time I've tried to read it, I get so pissed off I have to stop. I've been following this almost from the time it happened 14 years ago.

Happy Birthday, Spike. You have not been forgotten.


And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--