Neko

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Horror-Scope, originality, and other nonsense

Stephanie's Daily Aquarius Forecast

Quickie: Buckle down! You need to show some discipline if you want to make any progress.

Overview: Even if the weather's fine, the world seems to be conspiring to rain on your personal parade. Don't whine; if you rethink things and discipline yourself, you can actually keep right on marching.

Daily extended (by Astrology.com)
Don't base your love on credit, or when you try to get you-know-who to pay up, the check could just come back marked insufficient funds. In other words, if someone has repeatedly proved untrustworthy and unreliable, why are you keeping them around in your life? Do you still secretly believe that somehow it's your fault that they can't be counted upon? What a load of hooey. You deserve better, and you know it.

===>Scary how right on these things are. Or maybe it's just me. At any rate, I should probably take heed.

=======================

Ebert and Roeper were on the Tonight Show tonight, and they pretty much hated every movie out there, with a few execptions. There is really no originality out there in Hollyweird, because they seem to be busy remaking movies and old TV shows that have no business being remade.

Bewitched? I remember the TV show for cryin out loud! Perhaps Nicole Kidman does a passable job, but she's no Elizabeth Montgomery. And Will Ferrell as Darin? Puh-leeze!

The Honeymooners? I like Cedric the Entertainer, I really do. But he's been funnier in better movies.

The Longest Yard? Adam Sandler is in this. I can't stand him! He ruins any movie he's in IMHO. Maybe guys like that potty humor he seems to spout in all his films, but I don't. And the original wasn't that great either. Burt Reynolds? Ewwww!

Now, I've seen a commercial for a King Kong remake. Gimme a break here! It's been remade once in my lifetime (in 1976, when I was 12); does it really need to be remade again?

And have you seen the ads for the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp? He looks like a cross between Michael Jackson and Velma from Scooby Doo! Johnny Depp is a fine actor, and maybe this movie is not that bad, but again, I read the book when I was a child and saw the original movie in 1971 with Gene Wilder. How good can this movie with Johnny Depp be? Give me Edward Scissorhands, or Benny and Joon, or even Pirates of the Caribbean...

=====================

I can't get this song I played during my air show at school today out of my head. It's "Telling Stories" by Tracy Chapman. I've liked her since her first album in 1988 ("Fast Car" was the big hit on that one)...

Telling Stories --Tracy Chapman


There is fiction in the space between
The lines on your page of memories
Write it down but it doesn’t mean
You’re not just telling stories
There is fiction in the space between
You and me

There is fiction in the space between
You and reality
You will do and say anything
To make your everyday life
Seem less mundane
There is fiction in the space between
You and me

There’s a science fiction in the space between
You and me
A fabrication of a grand scheme
Where I am the scary monster
I eat the city and as I leave the scene
In my spaceship I am laughing
In your remembrance of your bad dream
There’s no one but you standing

Leave the pity and the blame
For the ones who do not speak
You write the words to get respect and compassion
And for posterity
You write the words and make believe
There is truth in the space between

There is fiction in the space between
You and everybody
Give us all what we need
Give us one more sad sordid story
But in the fiction of the space between
Sometimes a lie is the best thing
Sometimes a lie is the best thing




And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--