Neko

Monday, April 04, 2005

I need to get out of here

Even if it's for a few hours a day. My mother's defeatist, doesn't-give-a-shit attitude is really getting on my last nerve.

She got all over Jeff and me Saturday when we mentioned that we had eaten at the mall. She was bent out of shape that we didn't bring her anything. "Oh, so I don't eat, right?" she sneered at us in that tone of voice that irritates the crap out of me. Like we were supposed to automatically know to bring her something from the Sonic in the mall?

Then, Sunday afternoon when Jeff wanted to go to a bookstore to get a couple of mangas he was planning to get with some of his birthday money, Mom said to me, "If you take Jeff anywhere, he better buy gas because, if you run out, you're up shit creek."

She complains about how broke she is, but then wants me to buy her cigarettes every day (at $4.00 + a pack), and get her stuff from outside (i.e. fast food and such), or, get her a "drinky" (soft drink).

She takes meds for depression, but they don't seem to help her. She complains constantly about "not feeling well", but doesn't go see the doctor. She now thinks she has an ulcer that makes her sick to her stomach when she eats something.

She's still not all that thrilled that I decided to go to school. What did she think I was going to do sitting around the house listening to her bitch and complain about everything under the sun, the moon and the stars? She tells commercials on TV to shut up, and gets irritated at the littlest things. She thinks Jeff and I do things just to piss her off, and that attitude is pissing me off!

Of course, I can't complain to anyone. My sister would probably think I'm making it all up if I mentioned it to her, so I keep my mouth shut.

I love my mother and want her to be happy, but she's working so hard at being unhappy that I don't know what to do. Mom jokes that she needs a "keeper". She's already got a keeper, and that's me. It's a job I didn't ask for and I do not want any longer than I have to. If I can make it to the end of the year, and graduation from broadcasting school, I'll get a job out of state and get the hell outta here. I just fear I'll be a basket case by then.


That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--