Neko

Monday, March 28, 2005

Where are the parents?

When I picked Jeff up from his night class, we went over to Wal Mart to get dinner. Jeff went ga-ga over the 50% off Easter candy. I was still waiting for him when I got done, so I went to sit on a bench near the arcade our Wal Mart has.

Inside are three little boys, maybe 2, 3, and 5 years old. They are climbing all over the games and other machines, and there are no parents in sight. The littlest one tried to climb on a big gumball machine, which would have toppled over from the added weight.

Remember, no parents in sight.

I'm just sitting there, watching these kids, when a man came over and called them by name. Ahh, the dad, I thought, he's going to give these kids what for...

Wrong.

This pinhead gives his kids quarters to play the games, then WALKS AWAY!

Hello? What's wrong with this picture?

I go over to where Jeff is gawking over the Easter goodies and asked him to come with me. He sees these unsupervised kids, and I asked him if I ever left him and his brothers alone in public at any time when they were that age. He said no.

That's because I never left my kids unsupervised in public. There are just too many things that can happen to little kids these days. Child molesters, kidnappers, and the like...and my question when I see stuff like this is:

WHAT ARE THESE PARENTS THINKING?????

I got nervous the first time I let Daniel go to a public men's room alone when he was 5 or 6. I got nervous when he came home at 7am the day after his 21st birthday. I was worried when Jeff didn't call when he said he would from Europe when he went 2 years ago; and when Scott went to the cast party after his play, I was worried then, too.

So it just floors me when parents take all these stupid risks with the safety of their children. What if one of these kids had gotten hurt while goofing around the arcade machines? Whose fault would have been?

A) the parents
B) Wal Mart
C) Any bystander who didn't come to the kids' aid in case of an accident.


I smell lawsuit in the making.

The kids' mother finally shows up and supervises them for the three minutes it took for dad to walk back to the self checkout and run his credit card, while a 4th child (a girl, around 8 to 10 year of age) was bagging the groceries. And I'm still sitting there, forcing myself not to say something to this broad about watching her kids in public. Maybe she thought they were safe in the arcade. But, what if it were someone sitting there intent on doing these kids harm, instead of me?

I shudder to think...


And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--