Neko

Saturday, April 02, 2005

As of this writing...

Pope John Paul II is slipping ever closer to eternal life.

It got me to thinking about the last time in my lifetime a Pope passed away. It was 1978, and I was a 14 year old high school freshman. Actually, two Popes passed away that year.

Pope Paul VI had been Pope for many years when I was born. He died in the fall of '78 when I was just starting high school. The new Pope was elected, and he called himself John Paul after his immediate predecessor, Paul, and Paul's predecessor Pope John XXIII.

About a month later, he, too had died. The selection process began once again and shortly, there was another new Pope. This new Pope called himself John Paul II in honor of the man who preceded him.

Now, 27 years later, John Paul II is dying. It's so sad.

I don't always, as a Catholic, agree with what the Vatican says. I like to think that God gave me a brain with which to make my own decisions about my life. I didn't always agree with what Pope John Paul II said, either. And again, God gave me this brain in which to decide how I should live my life. If that makes me a bad Catholic, so be it. I'll never be a saint, and that's something I accepted about myself years ago. I go through with my life, and try to do the best I can. Certainly God can see that I try to be the best person I can be, even if I have used birth control, think that women have the ultimate say in what happens to their bodies (though I would not choose that for myself), that love is still love, whether it be Adam and Eve, or Adam and Steve, and that if one does not wish to be kept alive by artificial means, then that is their right.

I'm praying for John Paul II, but it's looking more and more like he's at the end of his life on this Earth, and preparing for eternal life.


That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--