Neko

Monday, January 17, 2005

Dude, you need sensitivity training

I called the customer support line at the Canadian online dating site to complain about someone using my email address on their profile. The guy I got was totally combative and seemingly uniterested in helping me. He explained to me three times (I got it the first time, thanks) how someone could have gotten my email address. Seems that they (the person who contacted me initiallly) used the persons username, and then added "@(domain name).com" until they got one that worked. Okay, I got that.

This idiot in customer support was totally like, "well, this how they might have done it, it happens all the time, so you really have no right to complain." Perhaps, if he had thought to use people skills, which he apparently lacks, he might have said something like, "Hey, look, I'm really sorry about this, but let me tell you what may have happened in your case, and why." If he can't be professional, maybe he should find another line of work, one where he doesn't have to deal with the public.

Then he asked if there was anything else he could help me with. I told him that he needs to take some sensitivity training and a refresher course in customer relations and hung up on him.

Customer services and support is what I did for fifteen years of my working life. Rudeness and unprofessional behavior is not acceptable. The phone rep is the company they take calls for to the customer, and if the customer is treated badly, they will tell others not to do business with that company.

Now, I'm off to take my bogus profile off this site. I only signed up to get information on the person that may have been using my email address without my consent. Turns out she isn't, but only has a username similar to an email address I have.

That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--