Neko

Thursday, December 30, 2004

I'm at a loss for words

I've been reading and watching all the news reports of the devastating tsunami that hit in the Indian Ocean areas of Asia over the weekend, and there are no words that can accurately describe how seeing the destruction makes me feel. The massive loss of life and property, the grieving families all over the world...it makes my troubles so small in comparison. I cannot even begin to imagine the horror that people there felt when they realized that they were in danger and that they might not make it out alive. I can't imagine a wave so huge that it wipes out everything in its path. And all this happening with no warning whatsoever.

A couple of years ago, while Saon and I were still with the carnival, we were in a motel room one night watching a program about tidal waves, tsunamis and other catastrophic weather events. We were entranced by the information we were seeing and hearing. I remember that we discussed it long after the show was over.

Years before that, when my family (ex hubby, Daniel and Jeff, and me) were still living in Seal Beach, California, there was something in the media about a "tidal wave" hitting somewhere along the Pacific coast. This had to be 1987 or so, because Jeff was just a little tyke, and Daniel was 3 1/2... Anyway, there were some idiots down at the Seal Beach Pier actually waiting for the tidal wave to hit. I remember thinking at that time how stupid that was, because I knew even then that a tidal wave could conceivably wipe out the entire town of Seal Beach and the cities around it (Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Huntington Beach, etc.)!

But that doesn't even compare to the current situation in the Indian Ocean, with the death toll sure to go beyond 100,000...it even makes one think the endtimes predicted in Revelations is beginning now. That's something that I don't want to think about now, because, frankly, it scares the crap out of me.

All I can do is say prayers for the dead, the living, and everyone involved with the effort to rebuild nearly a dozen countries decimated by this act of God. If I had the money, I'd be sending it to the Red Cross for relief efforts. But all I have to give is my prayers. I pray that that is enough for now.

And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--