Neko

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Well, it IS true


I'm a pear. In Italian and Spanish, it's "pera".
My family is Italian, and that's my last name.
It's always fascinated me about the origins of people's names. I have a friend who has a French surname that means "dear friend". That's not what he said it meant, but I took enough French in high school to figure it out.
My aunt (my dad's sister, who is 88 years old) has a coat of arms for our family name that she got years and years ago. She had it the last time I visited her home in San Francisco in the mid 1980's (I think Daniel was 6 months old at the time).
I fought hard to have my name restored to me when Jon and I divorced. If I ever get married again, I'm not changing it. I might hyphenate it with the last name of the guy I get hitched to, but I won't change it, so it will be Pera-(fill in the blank).
I won't make it my middle name, like my sister did. I have kinda grown fond of my middle name, thanks, after 43 years.
Maybe I'll just live in sin with some guy... naaah... that would put my mother into orbit. She wasn't exactly thrilled when Saon and I lived together for all of 4 months five years ago.
I was going to expound on that previous paragraph (the "living in sin" part), but I think I'll save it for another post.



That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--

Labels: , , ,