Neko

Saturday, April 15, 2006

It's Ripley... believe it or not!

Mom woke me up earlier than I would have liked this morning.

She'd been watching this little dog in our backyard for the 2 hours prior to her waking me up. The dog was sniffing away at the deck in the backyard where a colony of rabbits lived underneath.

I asked Mom where the dog had come from and she said that she didn't know. She figured it came from next door. I decided to go outside to see if the dog would come to me. The dog just kinda sniffed around and then scooted under a hole in the fence to the yard next door.

I figured that was the last we'd see of him (her? it?). As soon as I went back inside, the dog was back in the backyard, picking up where he (she? it?) left off, sniffing for rabbits.

By this time, Pinky figured there was something not kosher with the situation and went to the back door, as if she wanted to go outside. She saw the dog in her backyard and started growling and barking, but the little dog was oblivious to the drama inside the house.

I went back outside and I was able to pick up the little trespasser. He (she? it?) wore a tag that had his (her? it's?) name on it, along with a phone number that I couldn't make out.

The dog's name, according to the tag, was Ripley. That still didn't resolve the gender issue for me (I guess Ripley is a "he"). I put Ripley down by the hole in the fence and he scooted back through to his side. I then went to let Pinky out into the backyard, where she promptly started sniffing everything in sight that Ripley had come in contact with. Pinky then came back inside, apparently satisfied that it was her backyard again.

No sooner Pinky had gone in the house that Ripley reemerged from the hole in the fence, but he didn't stay long. So far since that point (a couple of hours ago now) he hasn't returned.

Because of the kind of dog that Pinky is (a pit bull), we're kind of afraid to let her out to chase Ripley (some kind of terrier) back onto his side of the fence. Based on her reaction when she discovered that the other dog was in her yard, I wouldn't trust Pinky to leave the other dog alone if he were to come onto our side of the fence while she was out there.

I'm thinking of asking Jeff to nail a board over the hole to keep Ripley and other animals out of the backyard. I'd hate to think that Pinky would hurt another animal (she doesn't even bother to chase the rabbits that live under the deck), but if she feels someone or some animal was encroaching on her territory, she'd be in her right to defend it, especially if they're in her yard. If she were to kill something, or hurt someone, that would earn her a one way trip to doggie hell.

People freak out about pit bulls, but not all pit bulls are killing machines. Pinky isn't. She's rather docile. It's all in the training. If a dog, any dog, is trained to hurt other creatures, then those dogs would be a public nuisance. But you can't lump the bad qualities of a specific breed to include all dogs of that breed. I know Pinky would defend us if she needed to. She's never even snapped at any of the kids, and I know Joey has bugged her on many occassions.

It takes only a few bad pit bulls to make the entire breed look bad.

I just hope a visit next door to Ripley's owners isn't necessary.


And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--