Neko

Monday, April 10, 2006

Essay: Mrs. Rosellini

Mrs. Rosellini was this elderly lady I knew when I was a child. She was the most elegant and cultured person I had met up to that point.

My parents were active in the local Sons of Italy lodge for many years during my childhood. Mrs. Rosellini and her husband were members for more years than I care to recall. They had become members long before my parents came along.

She wore the most gorgeous clothes, and I learned that she used to make clothes for one of the Hollywood designers in the 40's and 50's. She spoke with an Italian accent, although she had been in the USA for many years. She always had these little candies in her purse for the kids (and for a long while, it was just me and Tori).

I think her first name was Dina, though I never, ever called her by her first name. She was of the generation where children respected their elders and expected to be called Mr. and Mrs (insert last name here). So to us, she and her husband were Mr. and Mrs. Rosellini. Period.

I think she was the first person to impress me with her style. I wish I had gotten to know her better, or had the foresight to ask her questions about her life before I knew her. That opportunity is gone, because she died several years ago. She was in her 90's.

I was thinking about her the other day, and thought I'd write something down about her. Someone in my life who left an impression on me.

And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--