Neko

Friday, March 31, 2006

Food for thought...

I ran across this article from boston.com earlier this evening, and it gives me pause.

It's about revealing too much of yourself in blogs, message boards, and sites like myspace and facebook. About keeping others out of your business who have no right to be in your business because you made it available on a public forum such as a blog.

The previous post is a perfect example. You'll notice that instead of the mischevious smile of my now 3 year old nephew, there's a picture of the Energizer Bunny. I've had a personal policy since I started keeping this blog that I wouldn't post pictures of the underage members of my family (my sons Scott and Marc; and Joey and his sister, Amalia). There are too many weirdos out there who don't need to know what these kids look like. So they will be represented by an image that reflects their interests, or something that reminds me of them, such as the Energizer Bunny.

Yesterday was Jeff's birthday. Jeff is an adult. That is why there is a picture of him (albeit one about three or so years old) in the post I made about his birthday.

I've also made a point of not revealing too much of my so-called "love life" since things ended with Saon. That's my business, and I'll keep any future topics of a delicate nature out of my blog. And those little "messages" I put in small type? I think those will go too.

Past employers? Nope. That's why in the post about my worst obscene phone call that Hannie challenged me with not too long ago, I did not name the employer in question. I don't need that to come back and bite me in the ass. I won't name future employers either. When I get a radio job, no call letters will be revealed, though the location might be, especially if I have to move out of state to take said job. Also...

That "PG-13" graphic isn't just for show. If you're under 13, you probably shouldn't be reading this blog anyway. With or without your parents consent. Things discussed here aren't for the eyes and ears of children. I'm a 42 year old woman, and some of the things I say here I don't say in front of my 12 and almost 15 year olds. They don't need to know that. And if you're under 13, neither do you.

Because, as the article I cited at the beginning of this post states, you can lose a job opportunity because of what's on your blog.

I surf a lot of blogs, and a lot of what I read on those blogs strike me as being a little bit too personal. And maybe I'm guilty of it too. After all, I am human. I make mistakes. However, if someone points out I've made a mistake, I'll admit to it.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.



And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--