Neko

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Has it been twenty years...

since the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after take off?

With a New Hampshire teacher named Christa McAuliffe aboard? The entire crew perished. I was watching in stunned silence just like everyone else that day. I had a 2 year old (Daniel), and was seven months pregnant with his brother Jeff.

And a few days later, Ronald Reagan spoke at the memorial service, quoting these lines: "...and slipped the surly bonds of Earth/ to touch the face of God".

I can still hear it in my head just the way he said it, even now.

And I still can't watch the video after Mission Control says "go with throttle up".

There were quite a few references to it on the local and national news today. It's one of those "where were you when..." moments you never forget.

Twenty years...



And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--