Neko

Thursday, June 09, 2005

I don't do the waiting thing well anymore...

Nearly three weeks ago, I found out that the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitative Services would be helping out with money for school. Part would go to the school to help with a large chunk of my tutition, and some would come to me to assist me with transportation expenses (gas, maintainance, etc). Since this week was a vacation of sorts from school, I haven't been able to ask if the school got their part of this assistance yet.

I know I haven't gotten mine.

I was told that it would take 5-6 business days to cut the checks, dependant on certain information the school sent them about me. I know that information was sent to DRS by the school the same day I went to the DRS office at Shepard Mall. I guess I'm not understanding the holdup. Five to six busness days would have been, at the latest, May 31st. So here I am nearly at June 10th, and nada.

Okay, I know this is the government and that the wheels move at an incredibly slow pace, but c'mon now... gas is hovering again at around the $2 mark, and my paychecks thus far have gone straight into the gas tank. How am I supposed to save money if I'm always spending it on gas? Mom gets pissed if she has to pay for gas every once in a while, as if DRS is going to give me money for all my gasoline needs (which I figure is about $50-$60 a week!). If I get enough to just buy gas until November, I'll be very surprised.

DRS pays .08 a mile and figures I drive 40 miles a day round trip, 5 days a week for 30 weeks (beginning when DRS said I was eligible, which was April 19th). You do the math. I've paid for gas for the six weeks since 4/19 out of my own pocket. That's about $100, so I've spent roughly half of what I've earned at work for this year just on gas!

So, no, I'm not doing the waiting thing well at all.

I used to be a very patient person. What the hell happened to me in that regard? Huh?

FMS happened, that's what. Three years ago July 9th is when I was finally diagnosed. If I can't get Social Security to help me, because they say that I'm not disabled enough to get benefits from them, then I had to try something else. I'm thankful for whatever I do end up getting from DRS. At least it's something.

But why does it have to take so damned long?



That's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--