Neko

Monday, May 02, 2005

Rant alert... "If I'm offended, I'll let you know."

This all started last Thursday at school. We were doing group shows, and the two knuckleheads I was in a group with decided to "out-cool" each other. Whether it was for my benefit or their amusement (though I strongly suspect the latter), I don't know and I don't care.

These two guys (wouldn't you know!) started with jokes about masturbation, then about Michael Jackson affinity for little boys, then about STDs. I knew what they were doing, and wrote it off to their acting worse than young teenage boys telling dirty jokes in the bathroom during lunch.

It was unpleasant, but I wasn't offended by it. I've certainly heard worse conversations. I was like, okay, guys, whatever, and left it at that. I tried to get everything back on a somewhat sane footing, but these two were having none of it.

Unfortunately for them, one of the instructors overheard a good majority of this nonsense and came in the studio where we were and proceeded to rip the guy who was acting as program director a new one. The instructor's language was rough, but there was no mistake that he was NOT pleased with the turn of events.

On Friday morning, I needed help with something and went to this instructor's office. I made an off the cuff remark about the events of the night before, and the instructor started apologizing for the conduct of the other two, and for his own language in my presence!

Now c'mon...I'm a big grrl, I can certainly take care of myself. If something offends me, I speak up. I knew those guys were just being stupid, and let them, in essence, hang themselves with their own rope. And I've certainly heard much worse language than what the instructor used in my presence. No one needs to be doing any apologizing to me. And, I'd just like to forget the whole damned thing if nobody minds too terribly much.

I don't know for sure, but I think that the instructor is offended that I wasn't offended. Well, I'm offended that he's offended that I'm not offended! (Got that?)

I just have this terrible feeling that the instructor is going to make the guys in question apologize to me. If they do, and it's of their own free will, then fine. If they're told to do it, the apology won't be sincere, and nothing will be accomplished. So what's the bloody point?

It's over and done with. Let's move on, shall we? Besides, one of the guilty parties is graduating in less than two weeks, and I certainly don't want to hurt his chances of getting hired somewhere because he decided to act like an idiot. I daresay that we all make errors in judgment at some point in time or another.

God knows I've made my share!

/END RANT


And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--