Neko

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Cover this... (rant alert)

It just blows my mind of all the old songs that are being redone by today's bands. Doesn't anyone have anything original to say, instead of covering songs by other artists. Some of the covers aren't even that good, or they try too hard to sound like the original. For example:
  • Prince's "Darling Nikki" was covered by Foo Fighters (I didn't like this song when Prince did it)
  • Korn (????) covered Cameo's "Word Up" (It even tries to sound like the original, and they get away with it...to a point. Wasn't Cameo a funk/r&b band?)
  • Shinedown covered Lynryd Skynyrd's "Simple Man" (This is the best cover I've heard so far)
  • Metallica covered Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" several years ago (it stunk, IMHO)
  • The Dixie Chicks covered Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" (ew. I'll take Stevie over Natalie anyday!)
(Know of any other covers? Email me here. These are the only ones I could think of at this time.)

Originality, people!!!! Are there so few good songwriters out there that bands have to cover older songs? The only bands who should be doing covers are "cover bands" where they play nothing but covers (and are advertised as such) or "tribute bands", who play the music of one particular artist. In Massachusetts, there's an Ozzy tribute band called Believer, and they play nothing but Ozzy/Black Sabbath numbers.

But, I guess the sincerest form of flattery is being copied (or covered).

And don't even get me started on the movie remakes...sheesh! Originalilty, people!!!!

/end rant


--MorelaterZ--