Neko

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

From the "Getting Pissed Off for the Sake of Getting Pissed Off" file...

Kids+Rocks=pissed off bees-- Kids throwing rocks pissed off some 120,000 bees in a hive estimated to be a quarter-ton in weight. The apartment building in Santa Ana, California (near where I grew up) was said to have its structual integrity threatened by the existance of the hive. Some dozen people were stung multiple times and at least two were taken to local hospitals.

This just pisses me off...I smell a plot a brewin'-- Police are "interviewing" elderly African-American voters in Florida, and it appears that some intimidation is involved. According to the New York Times,

"State police officers have gone into the homes of elderly black voters in Orlando and interrogated them as part of an odd "investigation" that has frightened many voters, intimidated elderly volunteers and thrown a chill over efforts to get out the black vote in November.

"The officers, from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which reports to Gov. Jeb Bush, say they are investigating allegations of voter fraud that came up during the Orlando mayoral election in March..."

Give me a break! This smacks of that old time practice of intimidating certain sections of the population to keep them from voting. Hey Gov. Bush: ever hear of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? What's going on out there is illegal! What's the deal here? Do you want to get Georgie reelected so badly that you'd stoop to this? Voter fraud my ass! This is intimidation, chicanery, whatever you care to call it, pure and simple. This is 2004, NOT 1954!

Peeping Tom works at Hollister-- In a report on KFOR-TV, a teenage girl and her mother state that a male employee of the Hollister store in the Penn Square Mall in Oklahoma City watched as the unaware teen disrobed to try on clothing. The changing rooms apparently are only made private by a thin curtain that doesn't always close all the way.

Hollister is one of those over-priced clothing stores that cater to fashion conscious teens. You pay outrageous prices for basic clothing with the store's name on it. If they want me to advertise for them, either pay me or give me that damned clothes for free! Even if I could wear their clothes (which I can't because I've never been a size 0!), I wouldn't shop there if male employees are allowed in the changing room areas for female customers.

I'm sure that there's more out there that pisses me off, but I'm not going to go look for it now.

--MorelaterZ--

PS: oh yeah, the disclaimer...