Neko

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Misinformation and applying for financial aid

Looks like Jeff will be getting financial aid for college. He has to call the financial aid office and find out what more they need. There was something about verifying my income for last year (all $318 of it).

When I called the toll free number on the application to ask what Jeff's next move should be, they looked up his info using his SSN and asked for his last name. I spelled it for the rep I spoke with, and the next thing out of her mouth was that "according to the Department of Homeland Security", Jeff would have to bring proof of his U.S. citizenship to the financial aid office.

"What?!" I asked in shock; "He was born here and holds a U.S. passport!"

The rep checked again and apologized, that she put the wrong info in her computer system, and that Jeff wouldn't have to bring his birth certificate and passport to the financial aid office.

I think I know what happened. The rep transposed two letters in the first half of his last name, and spelled that way, it may have appeared to look "suspicious".

This is why I don't use my ex's last name any more. My maiden name is hard enough to spell, thank you.

And school starts in less than 2 weeks, and Jeff still isn't sure where he's going to school. He was accepted by both the University of Oklahoma and the University of Central Oklahoma (right here in Edmond). When he went down to Norman last month to tour OU, he came away rather overwhelmed. OU is a huge campus...UCO is smaller, local, and also a 4 year school. Jeff has said that he may go to UCO for a year or two, then transfer to OU.

But as to where he'll be on the 23rd...I'm betting on UCO, but you never know.

--MorelaterZ--