Neko

Friday, November 07, 2003

Help! The doctor's holding my mother hostage!

Okay, not really....it just seemed like it. Mom had a doctor's appointment today, and since she hadn't been feeling well for a while, she had a whole battery of tests. All this took the better part of 2 1/2 hours! She got perscriptions that I dropped off at Wal-Mart's pharmacy, only to be told that one of them was unavailable. There is an equivalent OTC version, so I'm going to pick that up when I get her meds later today.

I heard a caller on O'Reilly's radio show talk about something called "associative disorder", whereas kids who don't have effective role models look to others for that role model. Specifically, disavantaged kids and rap music. These kids look up to their rap "heroes" as role models, to the point of emulating them.

Now in a post a couple days ago, I admitted that I didn't get the fascination with rap music. Now I think I get why I don't get it...it's because I had role models growing up (and no they were not the rock n roll gods whose music I loved as a teen--and still do-- either). I wasn't "disadvataged" in other words. I had parents who took care of me, looked out for me, gave me all the advantages of an upper middle class, Republican-bastion Orange County, California upbringing. I lacked for nothing.

I know people now (one in particular, though I won't mention names) who didn't have an upbringing such as what I had. They had nothing, got nothing, and anything they did manage to get they had to work their asses off for. Those who rose above that and succeeded are saints in my book. There is one though, that if they stay where they are now, will never rise above their place in the pecking order unless they get out of that negative environment. The idea that they want to bring children into this negative environment scares me, because they'll be perpetuating the cycle and no one will escape...not the parent(s) or the child(ren). And rap music isn't going to help the situation, because the artists who made it out are only doing it to line their pockets and the hell with the kids who listen to, and believe in, their music.

To rap artists I say this: there are kids out there that believe everything your music stands for. If you are negative, then they will be as well, because they idolize you ("if it's good for Ludacris, 50 Cent, etc., then it's good for me"). Be real role models and give back to the communities you are so proud to be from. Treat women with respect, tell kids that drug dealing is NOT cool, and the money, fame, etc., will eventually run out. Then where will you be? More than likely, sad to say, you'll be six feet under. What kind of role model will you be then?

[End Rant]