Neko

Thursday, July 17, 2003

How old is too old to drive?

You've probably heard about the terrible accident in Santa Monica, California yesterday, involving an elderly man who drove into a crowded Farmers Market and killed ten people. The gentleman, who is 86 years old, told police that he hit the gas instead of the brake, but who also has a recent history of accidents, including his own garage!

So, how old is too old to drive? I say it depends on the person. If you're eighty, for example, and you're still healthy, alert and feel comfortable behind the wheel, then you should be allowed to continue driving. Another eighty year old may not be as safe behind the wheel. I think that if it were me, then it would be my decision whether to continue driving when I'm in my 70's or 80's (granted that I am blessed to live that long, of course).

My father, who would have been 88 years old tomorrow, stopped driving on his own when he became ill in 1997. He died in 1999.

The gentleman involved in yesterday's tragedy, in my opinion, should not have been behind the wheel. He hit his own friggin garage, for God's sake. He should have surrendered his license ( or had it taken away from him) when that happened. Maybe ten innocent people would still be alive.

I don't think there should be a law saying, for example, that one must stop driving at 75. There should definitely be some safeguards in place to determine whether a person is still fit to drive at any given age over a previously agreed upon minimum. My mother doesn't drive much anymore, but she shouldn't have to surrender her license on her next birthday or anything. Just have her go into the Dept of Public Safety (aka DMV in most other states, RMV in MA and NH) and take a vision test and a behind the wheel test. I have no idea what Oklahoma's policy on elderly drivers is; I do know that Mom's license is due for renewal in 2004.

Any thoughts from the reading public? Leave me a message using the link at the end of this post, or email me.

Gotta jump...morelaterz--