Neko

Thursday, February 17, 2005

What's wrong with this picture?

When I was out the other day, I went over to Del City (which, according to my oldest son, is akin to "da hood"). I got off I-40 at the Sunnylane exit, and there about a quarter mile from the exit is a business that sells, among other things, tattooing supplies. Only one problem with that that I can see...

You cannot get a legal tattoo in the Great State of Oklahoma.

Now, how screwed up is this: you can BUY tattooing supplies in Oklahoma, but you can't USE them here.

If one wants to get a tattoo, most people go over to Texas to get one. Such places actually advertise on the radio stations here.

Oklahoma is now the only state in the USA where tattoo parlors are illegal. Blame it on the Baptists (the same people who opposed a lottery here, but the general population said "bring it on!"), but if someone is going to get a tattoo, wouldn't you rather get one in the state where you live instead of going to Texas for one?

One brave state legistalor recently introduced a bill to make tattoo parlors legal. If the tattoo industry were to be regulated by the health department, I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe it's a moral issue with some people, and in that case, no one is forcing you to do anything that you don't think is right. Most, if not all, people I know with tattoos got them willingly.

Perhaps it's time for Oklahoma to come out of the Dark Ages. We got the lottery(starting soon, they say), now give us the option of not going out of state to get a tattoo!

It's better than cockfighting birds wearing boxing gloves.


And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--