Neko

Friday, January 28, 2005

We got snow!

This is, in its entirety, an email I sent to my friend JC this morning. We really did get snow here in Oklahoma, though I think it will be gone by this evening.


There were big fluffy flakes, and I watched it come down and accumulate on the grass, the fences, the mailbox. I stared at it, almost hypnotized.

Later, I went out, and the streets were already clear from the numbers of drivers that traverse West Danforth at that time of the morning. When I arrived in the store parking lot, I saw people all bundled up, insulated from the cold. Hats, gloves, heavy jackets, even a couple with ear muffs. Then, there was me, my only protection a heavy weight sweatshirt and knit gloves.

I ran inside and quickly got what I went there to get, then walked back outside. I just stood there for a few minutes and closed my eyes. In the relative silence, I could almost swear I was standing outside the Market Basket in Methuen where I used to shop, or maybe outside in the parking lot of Putnam Investments where I used to work. For those few moments, I was magically transported back to Massachusetts. I had seemingly forgotten about Oklahoma car tags (license plates) and the proliferation of everything OU and OSU. Then, someone walks by me and their cell phone rings. The ringtone is "Boomer Sooner", Oklahoma's fight song.

My fantasy was over. I was still in Oklahoma and I still had to get home. It was still snowing. The snow may be gone by tonight, but for a few moments, I was where I really want to be.

(JC's response: "Damn, you have a way of writing, girl!")

And that's all from where I sit.

--MorelaterZ--