Neko

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

It's a gas, gas, gas

Apparently not...

GM has pulled the current Corvette ads featuring the Rolling Stones classic Jumpin Jack Flash, because seven safety groups stated that seeing a young boy driving a new Corvette in a "reckless" manner might give other kids ideas. GM says they pulled the ad because of the complaints.

Do these safety groups think kids are so dumb that they can't tell fantasy from reality? I know my kids know the difference. The message board over on Yahoo! that relates to this article is hoppin', with everyone with a computer and a couple of brain cells chiming in.

There are video games that young kids play that are far more harmful to them that the Corvette was. Have you seen what passes for a video game these days? My oldest son has a car racing game that has one "racing" at speeds that would be the envy of NASCAR drivers. How is that different than watching an ad with about a young boy fantasizing about driving a hot Corvette? How many of you out there did the same thing when you were kids (maybe not a Corvette even)? Hell, my ex husband has been fantasizing about Corvettes his whole life!

I know I'm going to get a bunch of negative responses to this, so this word of advice: just remember that the preceeding is my opinion, and if you wish to leave a comment, stand behind your comment with an email address. I may just want to respond. And, maybe not...but that's up to me, isn't it?

--MorelaterZ--