Neko

Thursday, March 18, 2004

Ignorance personified

I have another blog. I don't update it as much as I do this one because it's geared more towards those under 25, and I feel like an old broad there. Especially when I'm trying to make social commentary.

Case in point: I commented on Martha Stewart's felony conviction for insider trading and obstruction of justice in this other blog. Some young kid leaves me a comment that clearly stated to me that this person is so uninformed, so ignorant of current events, that the future now scares the bejeesus out of me. This person didn't understand that what Ms. Stewart did was a crime, and had asked if it had to do with an internet application.

I gathered from their user name that they are about 15 years old. Hell, when I was 15 years old, I was a regular newspaper reader (the Orange County Register and the Los Angeles Times), and I watched local and national news every day. I knew what was going on in my neighborhood, my county, the neighboring county, my state, the USA and the world. I remember asking my father when I was like 5 or 6 years old where Laos was, and why we (the US) were in Vietnam. I don't think I ever got an acceptable answer to either of those questions, because my father didn't think I'd understand the answers. (Just as a point of reference, I was 6 years old in 1970, and 15 in 1979). At one time, I wanted to be a journalist, and I guess that my thirst for knowledge and information stems from that.

The world and this country will be in the hands of those who are 15 years old in 2004 one day, and they need to be informed, aware, and alert. Get out of the mall, get out of the food court, get out from behind the Playstation, and get into a library, a bookstore, get your hands on a newspaper and learn what's going on in this world! Ignorance is NOT bliss. I shudder to think that some kid born in 1989 will be president one day...especially if they and their parents don't do anything to make them socially aware today.

End rant.

MorelaterZ--