Neko

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Q: "Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?"

A: hell, no!

Since Mr. Bush took office, I have been diagnosed with a chronic illness, lost my job, moved to Oklahoma, been unable to find employment, applied for Disability and SSI (and been denied twice!), and if I were not living with my mother, I'd be homeless.

The jobs that I do, and have done all of my working life, are all being outsourced to contries like India. I'm in debt up to my eyeballs, and I can't find even a part time job in my field. When I apply at places like Seven Eleven, I'm told I'm overqualified and would be bored within a months time and quit. I don't want to go back to the financial industry, but I will if I have no other choice. I occasionally get work though a temp agency, but those jobs are few and far between, as jobs like janitors, gardeners, housekeepers, etc. are more in demand. With my Fibromyalgia, I cannot do jobs like that. Sometimes I'm lucky to be able to get out of bed in the morning (if it were up to me, I'd be there now instead of the library writing this, but I really can't stand my mom's housekeeper).

So, Mr. Bush, your tenure as president has made my life a living hell. You really do care about your future more than you do mine. You'll be getting a shitload of dead presidents for speaking engagements when you are beat in November, and what'll I have? Right now, I have no fuckin' idea what I'll have, if anything!

You've sent hundreds of thousands of men and women to Iraq to fight in a war started under false pretenses (i.e. there are no WMD's). Some 500 of them have died for your cause. Granted, I'm glad Saddam is gone and the people of Iraq can have a chance at a better life, but at what cost to us, the American taxpayer? Will we be paying for this war thru higher taxes? Will there be a draft and will I be the mother at home glued to the television hoping not to hear that her son(s) is/are among the casualties? I have two sons who are old enough to be drafted if it were to come to that. Just how long can National Guard troops and Reservists keep serving? When they joined these ranks, they never expected to be sent to Iraq for up to a year, then only get two weeks at home with their families before they are sent back for another year. Morale is low, and troops are being offered lots of money to re-up. Like that's going to make the separations from their families any easier?

I will not be voting for George W. Bush come November. Why would I? What has he done for me lately?

MorelaterZ--