Neko

Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Whenever I think about this, it makes me smile

The first Saturday I was in Gretna, Saon took me to the Algiers Flea Market. Saon was disappointed that the flea market had gone downhill in the years he'd been away, and several of the merchants agreed when Saon made comments to that effect.

We walked around a lot, and Saon told me that money was tight (because he'd gotten his "West Bank" tattoos the night before), and that if I saw something I liked to let him know. I hadn't seen anything I liked, except for a fleur de lys ring (which on closer inspection wasn't what I thought it was), so I wasn't expecting to find anything.

We were walking by this table that had cell phone faceplates and I was just kinda flipping thru them, not really paying attention to the ones that I knew wouldn't work on my phone, and Saon asked me if I wanted one. I hadn't yet found one I liked (they all had pictures on them, and I didn't want one of those), so the gal who was behind the table helped me find a solid color one I liked. I found a bright blue one, and Saon bought it for me (it was all of five dollars). While the gal was changing the faceplate on my phone, Saon was looking at the other things on the table. He saw several crucifixes and picked one up. At that time, two little African-American boys about 6 or 7 years old walked up to the table. One asked his friend (brother? cousin?) what Saon was holding. Saon turned to them and asked them, "do you know who this is on the cross?"

One of the boys said, "Jesus," in a quiet voice.

"Do you know why Jesus is on the cross?" Saon asked them. The boys just kind of looked at each other and said nothing.

Saon then explained that Jesus was on the cross because, "everything bad you will ever do in your life, Jesus has already paid for by being put to death on the cross."

Someone in the background commented, "he must be a preacher." The boys just said, "oh..."

I had been listening to this exchange, and I felt a smile spread across my face. I thought the way that Saon explained the reasons Jesus died on the cross was very eloquent.

That's the man I fell in love with 14 months ago.