Neko

Sunday, August 10, 2003

"His breasts are bigger than mine. Do I dump him?"

Give me a break!

Check this out:

"Dear Coco,
For the past two months, I've been dating this guy who is very kind and sweet. We have a lot in common, and in many ways I feel as though I've found my soul mate. I've never laughed so hard with anyone, shared so many similar opinions or felt as though a man cared about me as much as I do when I'm with him. He's perfect in every way but one: He's overweight. I hate to sound superficial, but I have a hard time imagining myself having sex with him. I mean, his breasts are bigger than mine. Should I dump him?
— Squeamish in Seattle"

My answer:

So he's a fat guy, if he is perfect for you in every way but he's overweight, that shouldn't matter. Who you tryin' to impress there girly? Your homegirls? If your friends are really your friends, they'll be happy for you, no matter what the guy looks like.

As for sleeping with him, he may be the most incredible person you've ever been with for all you know. You never know until you try, now do you? I know of where I speak, sister. I have an overweight boyfriend, too, and he is more than I could have ever hoped for in a soulmate. Just remember, weight can be lost, if he chooses to do so. If not, then what concern is it of yours? He's still the same person inside whether he's heavy or thin, isn't he?

Coco's response:

Dear Squeamish,
My dear girl, for all you know, your super-sized lover is a sexual powerhouse. After all, there's a lot more to chemistry than skinny legs and six-pack abs; you could find he has an irresistible technique, agile fingers and other undiscovered assets. Maybe you'll find that your definition of "sexy" can be, well ... broadened.

I've seen skinny guys get fat and fat guys turn skinny, but I've never seen a nasty guy suddenly turn nice. Sexual attraction is an important component of relationships, but attraction to a person's character is what sustains the chemistry in the long haul. If you really think he's "perfect" for you in every other way but one, I suggest you keep an open mind. After all, weight can change; character doesn't.