Neko

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Ivan: one bad ass storm bearing down on the Big Easy

USAToday.com has an article that says that Ivan is one bad mother and that people are being told to get the hell out!

"Roughly 2 million people had been urged or ordered to leave coastal areas, including more than 1.2 million in the New Orleans metropolitan area. "

Darlene, Saon's sister, lives a bit east of New Orleans, and that's the part the hurricane could hit first. She told me in an email this morning that she's sent her two youngest daughters to Texas, but she was staying put to ride it out. Now, she's going to do whatever is best for her, but if it were me, I'd be so gone!

I just got an IM from Darlene, and she tells me that Saon is in Tennessee to get away from the storm. He asked her if she wanted to go with him, but she declined, afraid that if she left, she wouldn't be able to get back to her house. Darlene said that there's a lot of wind and a little rain, and there might be some flooding. She hasn't been asked to evacuate, so she's staying.

The Times Picayune (aka nola.com) has all kinds of stuff about hurricanes and their relation to New Orleans on their site.

The way I understand it, New Orleans is like a bowl: the levees are the sides of the bowl with the Mississippi River and Lake Ponchatrain on the outside, and the city itself is at the bottom of the bowl. Even I knew that New Orleans is below sea level, and that flooding there, even during a heavy rainstorm (much less a hurricane), is a possiblilty.

Ivan is still a Category 4 storm, a little weakened, but still a 4. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer that the storm doesn't do the damage it's capable of.

Lord, keep Saon safe --Amen.

--MorelaterZ--